Mar 30, 2022

You Don't Have to Suffer to Show Solidarity

I love history! I love researching and learning about what happened before I was alive.  The Colonial Era and World War II are just two time periods that fascinate me. I have often wondered if I was alive during the '30's and '40's would I have been an isolationist? 

On February 24, 2022 and the days after I had my answer -- NO! While I think I understand President Biden's reasons for not giving the planes and tanks President Zelenskyy so desperately needs, I alternate between frustration, anger, fear, and heartache that we are not doing more. Yes, we have given bunches of money, but it makes me think of the parent who shows love to their child by throwing money at them, when what they really need is their time and presence.

Since the slaughter started over a month ago, I won't let myself look at news while I am at work. But once I'm home I watch President Zelenskyy's nightly address to the Ukrainians, pour over newspaper articles, Telegram posts, tweets, Instagram posts, and watch the news the entire time, multi-tasking until I'm so overwhelmed by the horror of it all I have to stop. By then it's usually well after midnight. On the weekend, it's even worse because I have more time. I'm learning as much as I can about the history of Ukraine. I've been operating on little sleep for over a month.

But how dare I complain, when I choose to do this, instead of being in Ukraine having the horror thrust upon me. My husband has been imploring me to stop. He said, "You can't keep this up. What if this goes on for years?"

Don Lemon is interviewing someone right now as I'm typing this. He asked his guest what the best case scenario is for how long the war will last. He said several more months. Worst case scenario: years!  How can it go on for years? There will be nothing of Ukraine left!

I discovered the account of ukraine_artistry on Instagram a few days ago. She shared a post entitled, "How Not to Talk about the War in Ukraine" When I got to the end of the 4th slide, the last line:

"You don't have to suffer to show solidarity." 


That sentence jumped of my phone at me! I realized that I have been subconsciously feeling guilty that I have a warm home with my loved ones around me, that I'm not suffering -- that I am alive!

This realization hasn't curbed my nightly diet of all things Ukraine though. My heart still aches for them. I still don't know why this is so deeply and profoundly affecting me. But, it is causing me to cry out to God on their behalf. 

Maybe that's my answer right there.





Слава Україні


2 comments: